Supported Employment Network
The Supported Employment Network, funded by the Department of Developmental Services, is a collaboration between One SouthCoast Chamber and several area organizations who provide work search assistance and support to people with disabilities. The mission of the Network is to create a greater awareness in the business community about the skills and employability of people with disabilities.
What is Supported Employment?
It is an employment option that provides the necessary support (such as a job coach or transportation) an individual with a disability may need to be successfully and gainfully employed.
It promotes productivity and worker/employer satisfaction by matching job seekers’ skills to suitable job openings thereby ensuring success.
It offers businesses the ability to tap into a labor force with marketable skills, a strong work ethic and unbounded enthusiasm for work. It often results in reduced recruitment turnover and training costs.
Employers Benefit from Supported Employment by:
- Hiring dependable employees who are committed to doing the job creating less turnover
- Having easy access to an expanded labor pool and prescreened, qualified employees
- Expanding the diversity of their workforce
- Assisting the employer in training the new employee
Individuals who are gainfully employed:
- Gain from the experience
- Increase their earnings to spend in their communities
- Increase independence from entitlement programs
- Increase their opportunities to make friends and their sense of belonging in their communities
- One SouthCoast Chamber
- Better Community Living, Inc.
- Lifestream, Inc.
- M.O.Life, Inc
- New Bedford Area Department of Developmental Services